Abingworth also invests in later-stage public and private life science companies, many of which have clinical data.
Our development stage strategy includes Venture Investments in Public Equities (VIPEs). VIPEs are undervalued, usually <$200m market cap, US or European biotech companies in need of finance and active VC guidance and support from the board.
Based in Vancouver, Sierra (NASDAQ: SRRA) is developing and commercialising two drugs for myelofibrosis (MF), a rare bone marrow cancer. Momelotinib, a JAK1, JAK2 & ACVR1 inhibitor with a potentially differentiated therapeutic profile for the treatment of MF, has completed a pivotal Phase 3 clinical study in second line MF patients; positive topline data were announced Q1 2022. The second MF drug is a BET inhibitor. In April 2022 GSK announced the proposed acquisition of SRRA for $1.9b.
- Participated in a $103m financing via our late stage VIPE strategy
- Andrew Sinclair identified Sierra as an undervalued US biotech in 2019 and joined the board
- Supported the appointment of new CEO, enhanced the senior team and improved board diversity
UK-based NuCana (NASDAQ: NCNA), uses its novel ProTide technology to develop safer and more effective chemotherapy agents for cancer patients. Their lead product Acelarin is in a pivotal Phase 3 trial for biliary tract cancer. A second program, NUC-3373, is in Phase 1/2 for colorectal cancer. Proven chemistry used by Gilead for aniviral drugs underlays both programs.
- Bali Muralidhar identified NuCana as a good fit for our development stage strategy
- Led $80.5m public share offering in September 2020
- Strengthened the clinical expertise on the senior team and the board with appointments including CMO and Non-Executive Director
Seed & Early Stage
With over 30 years of experience investing in novel life science technologies, we understand how challenging it can be to turn a great idea into a great company.Find out more
We have pioneered a new approach to partnering with pharmaceutical and biotech companies to help them develop effective new drugs and deliver them to patients in an accelerated manner.Find out more