Abingworth has raised nine funds dedicated to investment in life sciences and healthcare:
- Abingworth Bioventures V expanded to £392 million ($590 million) in December 2008. The new monies were raised in an affiliated fund, Abingworth Bioventures V Co-Invest Growth Equity Fund.
- Abingworth Bioventures IV raised $350 million in August 2003. The fund made 18 venture investments and is fully invested.
- Abingworth Bioventures III raised $225 million in 2001 and made 16 venture investments. This fund is fully invested.
- Abingworth BioEquities is an open-ended fund and Abingworth’s first fund dedicated solely to investments in quoted stocks.
- Previous funds are either fully liquidated or making no new investments.
Portfolios can be viewed on the Portfolio companies section.
International Investor Base
Abingworth raises its own funds for venture investment mainly from a broad group of international blue chip investors. These include funds of funds, pension funds, endowments, foundations and insurance companies.
Leading Edge Companies
Past investments have included the development of novel drugs in a range of therapeutic areas. Abingworth has also invested in companies involved in genomics, vaccines, RNAi and antibodies as well as instrumentation, bioinformatics, medical devices and healthcare services.
Investments have included Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Aurora Biosciences, Aviron, Devgen, GelTex Pharmaceuticals, Gilead Sciences, Healtheon, IDEC Pharmaceuticals, Neurocrine Biosciences, Pharmion, PowderMed and Solexa.
Brian Steer, Former Executive Chairman of Stanmore Implants
I have found Abingworth to be incredibly supportive in the acquisition of Stanmore. They ensure that they intimately understand the business opportunity and thus in addition to bringing support in terms of finance, company formation, legal advice and recruitment, due to their deep knowledge of the sector they are also able to participate in the development of the strategy and its implementation. It has been a pleasure to work with such a professional and experienced team.